Hello, we had a great chat today on the eighth Library love Podcast, with loads of excellent reading suggestions. Gavin and Naomi shared what we had recently been reading:
• Gavin read A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne, The first volume in the Seven Kennings series
• Naomi read Switch Bitch by Roald Dahl
New and forthcoming adult books:
• Soundproof Future Scotland by Graham Rae (Local author)
• Desert Oath (Assassins Creed Origins) by Oliver Bowden
• The Red Dancer – Life of Mata Hari by Richard Skinner
• Fall Down Seven Times, Get Up Eight by Haoki Higashida
• Ashes Reborn by Keri Arthur
New and forthcoming children’s books:
• Ugly Five by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffer (0-5)
• Where is the Unicorn? by Paul Moran (5-7)
• Bella Tabbypaw by Daisy Meadows (7-9)
• Bad Dad by David Walliams (9-11)
• Getaway by Jeff Kinney (Diary of a Wimpy Kid) (9-11)
RED Book Awards
The RED Book Award is Falkirk’s Book Award which each secondary school in the authority participates in. RED stands for Read, Enjoy, Debate and is all about reading for enjoyment and stimulating lively debate about books.
The award is now in its 12th year.
13 and 14-year-olds from English classes in Bo’ness Academy, Braes High, Denny High, Falkirk High, Graeme High, Grangemouth High, Larbert High and St. Mungo’s High as well as reading groups in Polmont Young Offenders Institute and from a variety of countries take part. The young people read the 4 shortlisted titles, vote for their favourite book and produce a creative interpretation of one of the books for the award ceremony.
The shortlist of books is decided after lengthy debate by school and public librarians, young people feed in their opinions to the debate too.
The young people decide the winning book through a secret vote a few weeks before the award ceremony. The winner is revealed by opening the red envelope at the close of the big day!
• April – August: A longlist of books is read from which the shortlist is agreed.
• September – April: Young people read, enjoy and debate the books.
• April: Pupils vote for their favourite book.
• May: The RED Book Award ceremony held at the Falkirk Town Hall
• It is great fun for all those involved.
Did you Know we have Homework Clubs in Bonnybridge Library and Denny Library ?
– Denny Library Thursdays at 4pm
– Bonnybridge Library Thursday at 5.30pm