Hello and welcome to the Falkirk Libraries podcast with Vikki and Gavin.
This episode we were discussing the issue of Book Block and coming clean about books we probably should love but didn’t. All the books we mention are available to borrow and request from Falkirk Libraries
Vikki has been reading:
• Let Go My Hand by Edward Docx
• Paper Girls Volume 4 by Brian K Vaughan, Cliff Chiang, Matthew Wilson
Gavin has been reading:
• The Magos by Dan Abnett
• The Russia Shift (The Fuse) by Anthony Johnston
New and forthcoming adult books:
• The Skaar Invasion (Fall of Shannara) by Terry Brookes
• Take Me In by Sabine Durrant
• Liar Liar by Lisa Jackson
• Tom Clancy’s Line of Sight by Mike Maden
• Love Will Tear Us Apart by Holly Seddon
New and forthcoming children’s titles:
• The Cook and the King by Julia Donaldson, Illustrator David Roberts (0-5)
• Zoe’s Rescue Zoo: The Super Sloth by Amelia Cobb, illustrator Sophy Williams (5-7)
• Tales from Moominvalley by Tove Jansson (Reissue of the 70’s series (7-9)
• Agent Without Licence by Andy Lane (9-11)
• Plague Land by Alec Scarrow (Remade trilogy book 1) (Teen)
• The Greatest Showman (PG)
• Molly’s Game (15)
• Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri (15)
Our Reading Agony this week: ‘I’ve just moved into a house with a garden for the first time and need some advice and inspiration’.
The library has everything covered, apart from actually stocking compost and plants (though you could order them online using our free internet service). We can help with books on designing your garden both big and small plots; deciding what you are going to plant, flowers, vegetables or both; recognising what plants are already in your garden; dealing with pests and diseases; building sheds, summer houses, decking and paving.
Staff quote of the day: “Crisp anyone?” From a colleague who has been asked by her brother to post several boxes of crisps to Australia…as apparently the Australians don’t have good snacks! They are obviously a very healthy nation!
We discussed the survey carried out recently by the Reading Agency looking at Book Block. We confessed the books we’ve struggled to read, or never finished at all. However there were some titles that we’ve read and enjoyed that were challenging to read but worth it. A selection of the books mentioned in our discussion included:
• Lanark by Alasdair Gray
• Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkien
• Moby Dick by Herman Melville
• The Road by Cormac McCarthy
• The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
• Harry Potter series by J K Rowling
Did you know? We stock lots of gaming guides for both adults and children.
Please check out our online catalogue for more information.
Thank you for listening to the Library Love podcast, we hope you’ve enjoyed yourself and if you did, then tell a friend or colleague about our podcast; or give us a review on iTunes so more people get to hear about us. We love to hear from you and if you’d like to get in touch with us, then go to then go to librarylovefalkirk.com, Falkirk Libraries on Facebook, or @LibFalkirk on Twitter.